We annually review the Transmission company we work with in order to pass those cost savings onto you.
What Is TV Advert Transmission?
TV ad transmission is the act of delivering your completed TV commercial to your desired channel stations. Effectively Targeted TV Advertising. We use your channel list, supplied by you or your media buyer to send the advert out to where they need to be.
How Much Is It To Broadcast An Advert On TV?
The UK TV advertising market is worth over £1.5 billion a year. Targeted TV advertising, or regional TV advertising costs vary significantly based on your ambition and the scope of your creative. However Space City always pitch 3-4 concepts of varying budgets and scales, in order to provide you with a rounded array of options. The cost of the TV media will vary based a number of things: The media buyer company you select will discuss the following:
- Your desired reach
- The Frequency
- The channel selection
and other market factors. Typically, the majority of your TV advertising costs will be spent on the media, so you can target and reach relevant audiences with your message.
How Much Is It To Put My Advert On TV?
In general TV advertising is bought and sold on a cost per thousand basis. This means the price a station charges to have your ad be seen by 1000 people. This cost is set by ITV and most broadcasters trade at either a discount or premium rate depending on a number of variables.
The CPM price of your TV advert will vary based on the following things:
- Seasonality – These costs vary monthly (summer tends to be cheaper than autumn for example)
- The trading audience – TV channels trade with agencies against many audiences
- Advertiser demand – if there is a high demand for TV advertising in the marketplace, you will pay more
- Creative legnth – 30 seconds is an industry standard for TV advertising campaigns. If the length of your commercial is shorter or longer than this, the costs will vary accordingly. The advert will need to be a multiple of 10 seconds in the UK marketplace.
- Time of day – Certain times of the day are more expensive than others. For example, buying daytime TV advertising between 9am-5:30pm is cheaper than buying all-time campaigns.
- Regionality – ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky give you the opportunity to target specific areas of the UK. Generally this will come at a higher cost per thousand than using the national only stations.
- Broadcast or Video-on-demand – The majority of broadcasters offer catchup and VOD services; you can tailor your airtime to more specific audiences through VOD but again cost per thousand will be a lot higher than broadcast channels.
Choosing Where To Broadcast An Advert On TV
There are over 200 channels and thousands of programmes to buy advertising time for. You can purchase regional TV advertising slots or global. Space City work with your Media Buyers/planners who help you find the right audience to maximise your commercial traffic.
Why Choose To Advertise On Regional TV?
Of course you will receive more traffic if advertising on a large scale. however let’s say for arguments sake that your business offers local produce or services. This is when regional advertising comes in handy and also allows for cost savings. Advertisers can reach a large proportion of their ideal audience each week with TV.
Here is the percentage of viewers each week who view television:
- 94.5% of all individuals
- 95.7% of all adults
- 95.6% of all ABC1 adults
- 92.5% of 16-34 year olds
- 95.2% of men
- 96.5% of women
- 97.1% of households with children
So if you can get away with regional TV advertising, do it!
How To Decide What Channels To Advertise On?
Space City provides the creativity, produces and edits your advert to completion, we then work with your Media Buyer who provides you with:
Space City produce your campaign with these steps in mind prior to you purchasing airtime on different channels. This is so your commercials creative narrative is consistant with the audiences that are viewing it.
TV is the largest scale deliverer of advertising in the UK. Planning TV advertising campaigns requires specialist knowledge and can at first appear complicated, however Space City work with your media buyer to make sure our clients understand all of the working parts. We assist in creating schedules and plans with the greatest chance of success against agreed KPIs.
Space City Transmission?
We work with your Media Buyer to ensure your ad gets to where it needs to go on time. TV Commercial Transmission is the process all completed adverts go through in order to reach their designated channels. We annually review the Transmission company we work with in order to pass those cost savings onto you.
We are unable to include this process in our production budget as the cost will be based on how many stations you decide to play out on. If you give us your stations list we are happy to provide you with a quote.
What Does a TV Advert Transmission Look Like?
A typical Media Buyers Transmission form will likely contain:
- The station – If the your TV station has a +1 sister channel, this will also be included
- Timetrame– the actual period of the campaign, aka the viewing dates start and end. This can be as short as one day, or can cover a whole month
- Week Days – this shows which days of the week the campaign will be delivered over. TV is flexible so you do not have to advertise 7 days a week but can focus on specific days that are most effective against kpi’s
- Daypart – This is the times of the day that the advertising will go out between. You can buy different periods of the day to suit your campaign
A Space City Transmission form looks a little more like this:
- Clock Number – The clock number is a method of differentiating each individual version of your advert. Why have different versions of your TV advert? Well let us say you want to test which TV channels deliver the most traffic to your product or service. You can create different versions of your adverts that vary in telephone number or offer graphics or endboard call to actions, meaning you can track which channels are delivering the most reward.
- Transmission Site – This is the umberella company that own the stations you want to deliver your campaign to, i.e. Sky, Channel 4, ITV etc.
- Station – this is the specific channel your TV commercial will be sent to
At Space City we charge for the number of playouts, this is why we can not quote for transmission prior to receiving your stations list.